Tonight I had a date that I was so excited for I could hardly focus… my very first sewing date with my adorable friend Barbara. Hooray!
My date was a hit. Starting first with gifts – an antique suitcase to hold all my fabrics and odds & ends for my birthday. Thank you Barby – I’m in love with it!!
We then ooh’d and ah’d over all our fabrics and where we had found them. Barby had such a great collection, many found at estate sales or goodwills – a note to me that I have to start rummaging for unique pieces!
And after our ooh’s were done, we got focused on our evening sewing projects.
- Mine = lap duvet inspired by Purl Bee.
- Barby = seat cushions for her chairs.
My project was so easy and so satisfying – I already know that more of these are in my future. Step by step, this is what you do:
- Cut fabric to equal sizes.
- Lay one layer face up, the other face down, and batting on top.
- Pin together.
- Sew, leaving 1/4 seam allowance and 8-inch gap in middle.
- Turn inside out.
- Sew gap using a hidden stitch
- Dart as desired (still working on this… will share final project soon!)
|Step 5 (via Barby’s seat cushions).|
For Barby’s seat cushions she followed the same steps. I’d say, we did pretty well for the night! Even Pablo, Barby’s parents-in-law’s dog, approves of the duvet – he was ready to make it his own!
|Lap duvet. Pablo tested, Pablo approved.|